Tuesday, June 03, 2014

MMM2014 reflections

This is a self reflection post as a reminder to myself because you know, I forget things easily these days. It is going to be long, boring, and probably of no interest to anyone but myself :) and no pictures, because I have no time to do a collage or anything like that. Haha, doesn't that sound way better than saying I'm too lazy to do a collage? :)

MMM2014 was fun. I enjoyed little glimpses into everyone's wardrobes and life, reunited with old friends and found new sewing buddies, as I did last year. The MMM and sewing community is awesome! Thanks Zoe and all MMMers!

Now for the self centred me part of the reflections :) I learned many useful things, like how to take better selfies. I was given the best tip - stand farther away from the mirror, then crop. I also tried to stand in a more natural pose, although most days it was just my awkward stand up straight look. And one more thing, you absolutely have to wear heels for full length selfies, the higher the better :) they make you look taller and slimmer.

I was a few days short of completing MMM. We started renovations to my house and I did not feel in the mood for taking selfies of my outfits anymore. The good thing is that I was able to let it go and not fret about it. I need to give myself a good pat on the back for that.

In addition to clothes I had sewn, I also wore my handknits like I did last year. Many of my handknits are old, 2005 or earlier. They are still in surprisingly good condition, maybe because they are knit in sturdy cotton yarn. I feel it's time to start knitting for me again, there are newer styles to knit now.

During MMM, on many days I was wearing different clothes, but the outfit looked the same. I realised that it's because I have a sort of uniform look, which is a good thing because I feel comfortable in that look and I can pull the items together quite quickly in the morning. However, it also showed me that I could afford to venture outside of my uniform look and be more adventurous. 

I could try more colour in my wardrobe, which is now mostly neutrals, greys and blacks. I'm thinking of pastels and some bright colours. I used to think that as I grow older, I should wear dark colours. I have realised that I am mistaken about that. During MMM I had an ephipany - I should wear whatever makes me happy, growing older or not. Yay me! I am glad I got that age thing finally sorted out of the way. Because you know, for a long time, I was in limbo about what to wear and ended up being dowdy in a bid not to be mutton dressed as lamb.

Next I could afford to expand the type of clothes that I wear. Simple separates are still my thing, but I am in need of more interesting bottoms. I'm thinking of tapered cropped pants that end at the ankles because they seem to go well with the swingy and boxy tops that I like to wear. I have already found some navy cotton sateen for my first pair. Haha thus begins my new uniform look.

After seeing so many casual and breezy skirts on MMM, I am inspired to sew some relaxed linen or cotton skirts. The style of the skirts need some thinking through so that they will work with my tops. Or maybe I can sew new tops to go with the skirts. Think outside my box!

So here's the sewing list inspired by MMM2014:
  1. knit sweaters for me again, maybe Cheeky from Kim Hargreaves' Spirit collection?
  2. cropped ankle length pants, starting with one in navy cotton sateen
  3. relaxed linen or cotton skirts, a box pleated skirt or maybe Tessuti's new Libby A Line skirt?

10 comments:

  1. I've loved following your MMMay posts again this year Erin! I did wear a lot of my me mades but didn't manage my pics. I like the sound of your plans and definitely agree with wearing whatever makes you happy! Looking forward to seeing what you make next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathryn, taking photos was difficult! I'm enjoying all the cute photos of Harris on instgram, he's got such a happy smile!

      Delete
  2. Yay! Lovely handknits! So glad you have decided to wear the colours that you love! I am all about wearing what makes me happy. Next year I'm 30, but I don't think I dress very 'age appropriate', but bright colours, crazy prints make me happy so don't think I could ever give that up. I think if something suits your personal style and aesthetic, go for it! It's all about self expression and celebrating your style and what you love :)
    Tapered cropped pants sound like a great idea and linen and cotton skirts would be a great way to experiment with colour. I'm making a linen skirt very soon too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kath, you look great in bright colours and mod prints, so keep on wearing them! Growing older had me stumped for awhile, cos I wasn't sure what was right for me anymore. But I'm glad I found my footing again :) Oooohhhh now I'm looking forward to your linen skirt! I love linen :)

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed 'meeting' you through mmm14 and love your beautiful knitted items and the garments you make. This is a wonderful 'reflections' post you've written. Yes, struggling with 'growing older' and 'what one wears as one grows older' had gotten to me too and credit being a part of this wonderful sewing community with helping me move forward. I love your outfits and look forward to seeing what new items you will be making!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa, I'm glad I found you through MMM14, it's nice to find someone who is on the same wavelength as me :)

      Delete
  4. Maybe try a top in a print mixing color and a favorite neutral to see if you like wearing it. I have to make the same effort to add color, my love of black and gray gets a bit dreary ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely understand what you mean about a "uniform." I've evolved into wearing only pencil skirts and buttoned shirts for the most part! It's time for me to shake things up. I think your style is lovely though and I love neutrals as well. I hope you do knit some things for yourself as I would love to see what you make! Kim Hargreaves is a designer I've always liked because her designs stand the test of time. I get the most compliments on the stuff that I make from her patterns. Hmm..I must join in with MMM next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do hope there will be MMM again next year, and see you there! Yes, Kim Hargreaves is one of my fave knitwear designers, her sweaters and cardigans are very wearable. aww thanks for saying my style is lovely. I often feel frumpy more than stylish so it's really encouraging to hear that!

      Delete