Wednesday, May 14, 2014

trial and error

This top is made of trial and error, and pattern hacking. I am not thrilled with the end result, though it's a passable wear, but most of all, it was a good learning experience. The fabric is viscose, not sure if you can see but it has a shiny embossed leopard spot print. This is the first time I'm sewing with viscose. It was more sturdy when I bought it, but after washing, it became so different, more fluid and drapey. I like the drape, but I'm not sure if this is going to be a long wearing make. The fabric seems to be getting furry already. By the way, the colour is a very pale pink, not white. 


I am not even going to talk about the pattern because it was hacked in so many amateurish ways. And it has too many flaws. The front neckline turned out too wide, and I had to sew a tiny pleat in the middle to get it to fit. But it was a good learning experience. One of these days, I will draft my own bodice block. Anyway, to stop myself from wasting more time fiddling with this hacked pattern any further, I am going to throw it away. When I made this, I had in mind a swingy trapeze like top, but with the soft drape of the viscose and the bias cut, it turned out different. I wore this half-heartedly and when my husband saw this, he said, "this looks really nice, when did you buy it?" Aww, it cheered me up so much. Sometimes all it takes to put a smie on someone's face is a kind word.

8 comments:

  1. I've had this experience too - wearing something I made that I don't love, and then a positive comment completely changes my mind! I think this top looks fine, but I really understand how having a bad time with the pattern can color your view of the make! Been there too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gail :) To make sure I stop fiddling with that pattern and move on to something else, I threw it out :)

      Delete
  2. The same thing happened to me recently too.... not getting the fit right and settling on a little pleat in the middle just like your cute top. The day I wore it for MMM14, it received such positive feedback and comments. I was shocked as I'd almost not even worn the thing because I disliked it so. Could it be because we know what the 'vision' is in our head, and when that vision doesn't materialize it affects the way we 'see' the outfit? I don't know, but I think your top is cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa, I think you are right. I was sewing the vision but the end result wasn't co-operative, hence the major let-down. The cure is to dream up something else to sew :)

      Delete
  3. well, i kind of like it's simplicity. you did a good job
    and it looks good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're way too self-critical! (I am too, so I understand.) It's a very pretty top. I'm at the same stage as you as I know I need to make my own bodice block but haven't yet gotten to it. I agree though - the cure to everything is to dream up something new to sew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How true, about being too self critical. It's a disease :), need to find the cure. Yet at the same time, I am aware that the self criticism is what drives me to do better. As the saying goes, our weakness is also our strength. I guess, the answer lies in how to balance both for my own good :)

      Delete