Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Keeping track

I am getting more forgetful these days. I have trouble remembering the things I want to sew. To help myself keep track, I am going to record things I would like to sew from my pattern books.


I would like to sew this as a top instead of a dress, using some stashed beige linen fabric. Since I have both pattern and fabric, this might be next on the cutting table.


I like this cardigan but the only available fabric I have is a brown knit jersey. Do you think it will work?


I want to sew these black cropped pants with the side slits but I don't have fabric for pants in my stash. Any advice as to the type of fabric that would be good for this?


I like the curved shoulder on this top, but  I'm not sure if I want to do a contrast peplum or not. Do you think it would look better in solid colour, small pattern or small florals? Or florals contrast with a solid? Should I do sedate grey or neutral or go girly pastel? 


I like the slit sleeves on this top and you can't see it, but there's a peter pan collar as well. I have some creamy white cotton that I could use for this. And let's ignore the fact that these models look younger than half my age and yet I want to sew these things they are wearing. Oh well, never mind, I'll just claim the right to be eccentric and wear what makes me happy :)

14 comments:

  1. Yes to being eccentric and just doing what makes you happy! Love the cardigan pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristina! I'm really not good at knowing how to dress for my age, because it seems like I keep getting older so fast :) My own perception of who I am is lagging behind my physical age. And lately I've started thinking that if I don't do this or that now, I might get too old for it some day, so I'm trying to make the most of the hay while the sun shines :) The cardigan is lovely, Blogless Anna made a beautiful version of it, you can view it here: http://bloglessanna.wordpress.com/2014/04/06/to-shrug-to-not-to-shrug/

      Delete
  2. I love all of these! Those pants with the slit on the side look really lovely. I'd really love to make pants for myself...one day!

    Both my mother and grandmother feel like they are much younger than their actual age. My grandmother says she's about 23 and about the same for my mother. They defnitely don't dress their 'age' but they feel good, so that's what counts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to make the pants soon! aww your grandmother sounds cute, 23 is a good age to be!

      Delete
  3. The cardigan is cute but jersey varies in stretch so it's hard to say. I'd "guess" that since it has quite a bit of drape and ease you'd want a fabric with a bit of stability so it doesn't stretch down to your knees after an hour.

    For pants, I'd find a black stretch sateen. The sateen finish makes them a bit dressier if you want to wear them to work and the stretch makes them much easier to fit ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip about the stretch factor in jersey. I will keep it in mind. Stretch sateen sounds interesting, if I remember correctly it's cotton based which is great for my weather, I will find out more about it, thanks!

      Delete
  4. I love the cardigan and I think blogless Anna might have made this up as well. I think the jersey should work ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I first saw it at Blogless Anna's and so want to copy her :). I will go take anothe look at my jersey and see how stretchy it is before I attempt it. But I am hoping it will do :)

      Delete
  5. Welcome to my world...one where the written word is much respected, LOL. Writing your wish list into a post is even better than jotting in a notebook. I really love the top with contrasting peplum. And any of the combinations you mentioned would work, but I can really imagine that shoulder detail in a small floral!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you're imagining it in a small floral, so am I :)

      Delete
  6. I really enjoy these posts of photos you are thinking about making! And agree with your thoughts of 'aging' as I'm in there too, so if it's all right with you, I'll also claim "the right to be eccentric, and wear what makes me happy" too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha Lisa, us great minds, we think alike :)

      Delete
  7. I love these plans! You have a lot of great patterns. The peplum top with the curved shoulders is really cool. I think it would look good in solid or floral for the body and the peplum. A brown knit jersey should work for the cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth, I like the peplum with the curved shoulders too. I'm trying to sew from stash fabric, but having difficulty matching this pattern to the right fabric :( Maybe I should stop trying to aim for pefect fit and just go with something that will work!

      Delete