Saturday, May 03, 2014

Embroidered cotton shorts

Tomorrow is day 4 of MMM2014 and I'm going to wear my new shorts! Me made Michael Kors aran sweater, me made shorts. Snidel tote bag and furry pom pom on a suede string are borrowed from my daughter. Let's hope it won't be too warm for me to wear my sweater which is very "holey" and knit from a silk cotton blend yarn.


I have been hoarding this embroidered swiss cotton for a year. What do you call this colour? Tan or taupe? I wanted to sew something really special with it. I bought enough to sew a dress, but I don't wear dresses much. Then I thought maybe a tunic, but that's being too predictable, no?


Then I saw these shorts in a magazine and I thought that I would really like a pair of shorts in this embroidered cotton.


Gathering up my nerves to cut the fabric took a few days but once I cut it, the sewing went fast. I used my tried and tested elastic waist shorts pattern, which was whipped out in a jiffy because I left out the pockets and there was no need to hem the shorts. I managed to eke out this pair of shorts with half of my fabric, so I have enough left for a skirt or a tank top. This pretty fabric had embroidery on both selvegdes. Can't wait to wear my new shorts tomorrow. Have a good night everyone!


Edited to add: mirror selfie of the outfit. I love these shorts. Can a woman have too many shorts? I feel like sewing a dozen more. I want a pair in floral cotton, or make that a few pairs, one in a tiny floral, another in a mid size floral, a black gingham one, a few more in various shades of pastel cotton pique, twill or linen. Of course I do not have any such fabric in my stash, but that's a good reason to go hunting for them right? 

5 comments:

  1. Those shorts are fantastic! The embroidery on the edges is perfect for them

    ReplyDelete
  2. So classy looking as always Erin! That embroidered cotton is gorgeous! I've never seen any fabric like that in the shops, I'll need to keep an eye out for some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathryn! I got it locally, first time I've seen this type of cotton before too :)

      Delete
  3. I love this outfit. It has so much interest and texture. Great job with the shorts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I really like the shorts too :)

      Delete