Friday, November 15, 2013

Planning R's mohair sweater

I am not following a pattern for my daughter, R's mohair sweater as I cannot find a suitable pattern with the kind of ease I want. Anyway, I want a simple stockinette sweater, slightly oversized in a copped length with a wide (not round) neckline, so I am making things up as I go along. To determine the amount of ease, I measured a few of her over-sized t-shirts and decided on 20-22 inches width. As soon as I had wound up the lace yarn into a ball, I started knitting. Cast on 90 sts (to block to 20 inches width) with 3.75mm needles, 6 rows ribbing. Changed to 4.00 mm needles and knit stockinette increasing 1 st at each side every 8 rows 5 times = 100 sts (block to 22 inches width). 


The lilac colour is darker in these photos than it is in real life. And this is the biggest ball of yarn I have ever knit with! It is such a pleasure to knit mindless stockinette with this yarn because it is so pretty and delicate looking, yet it knits up real fast because the gauge is like knitting with aran yarn. In two nights of after dinner knitting, I have 8 inches length already. Every now and then I pause knitting to stroke it, because it is soft and light, like air. The other thing about this brandless mohair yarn is that it is not too soft, so the knitwear is not going to be floppy. It is a little bit stiff so the knitwear will have some body. This yarn is also a gift from a friend, it's such a special pleasure to knit with yarn from friends, because I am reminded of her when I knit.


It seems too plain to knit just a stockinette sweater so I am thinking of adding some frou frou touches. Maybe a lace hem in front? The back and front ribbing will be spilt and the back ribbing will be longer. (note to self - think about whether the back ribbing should be longer than front ribbing + lace hem or the same length?) A long slit at the back neck to be tied with a lace ribbon. Below is a simple hand drawing of the details I sent to my daughter to see if she likes the ideas. She likes the ribbon at the back, so that's definitely a yes. But the rest of the touches are subject to change because I have so many of these embellishment ideas. Earlier on, I was thinking about knitting a big heart motif in lace on the front, but abandoned the idea because I wasn't sure that the lace will stand out nicely as the mohair is fuzzy. Then I was also thinking of embroidering little daisies around the front neckline. We'll see about the rest later as they can be added after the knitting is done. Have I mentioned that this is so fun? I'm so glad that my daughter wears sweaters now!


7 comments:

  1. I love the idea of the back opening with ribbon! The fabric is looking lovely so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the back opening with ribbon idea! I saw a sweater like that and always meant to copy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I saw a sweater like that too and I kept thinking that I must copy it one day :)

      Delete
  3. Love all of your ideas in that sketch. Especially the sweet ribbon detail and lace hem! The mohair and color goes so well with the pattern. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like it's going to be so pretty and delicate - very special indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will turn out pretty too. My concern is the size because I'm just winging it :)

      Delete