Thursday, August 09, 2012

Sorbetto blouse with sleeves

I had a one yard piece of white textured fabric that I had bought many years ago. It's the same fabric as my Sorbetto Dress. I wanted to sew a long swingy tank top out of it, but there wasn't enough fabric. There was, however, enough to sew a Sorbetto blouse with sleeves.


As usual, I sewed an inverted pleat and reinforced it by topstitching. The sides of my earlier Sorbetto top kind of sticks out at the the hem, so this time, I curved the hem up at the sides by about 1 inch.  I also raised the front and back neckline. Note to self: I can afford to raise the front neckline by another inch. For the sleeves, I used this Sorbetto sleeve pattern. The length of the sleeve cap was too long for the size 4 armhole I was using, so I fudged it by cutting off a bit here and there. It still doesn't fit that well as you can see, but it is serviceable. I used a peach satin bias tape to finish the neckline as I didn't have any white bias tape in my stash.


This blouse turned out better than I expected. I wore it with shorts here, but I can also wear it to work with a pencil skirt. The only drawback is that the fabric is a little too see-through. I need to remember to take note of this point in future when buying fabric for tops. Sorry for the over-exposed pictures, it is a bright sunny day here today.


Happy 47th National Day to all my fellow Singaporeans!

7 comments:

  1. Oh Erin, this blouse is really pretty. I love the little extra fold at the front, makes a classic blouse very special and the length, your colour, your changes - very very lovely. I could imagine it with a pencil skirt, too, so well, but it is so very versatile and could even make simple jeans very elegant. Love it a lot!
    With my very best wishes,
    Suzi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Sorbetto top version with sleeves. Great for the Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a gorgeous sorbetto and I love the texture of the fabric. I've made the mistake with see-through fabric a few times myself too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks beautiful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Erin!
    It´s a pleasure to know your blog.
    I loved your top.
    Kiss, Minie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Erin! Wow this is beautiful! I always have a hard time finding tops that I like and how nice that you can make them by yourself! I love the shape and the texture is unique too!

    ReplyDelete