Monday, January 09, 2012

Clean a corner a week 1

I decided to tackle my table first. This is my table in our family room where we spend most of our time at home. I am the Queen of clutter. What you can't see is that there is more stuff behind my notebook screen. Can you see that box overflowing with skeins of leftover yarn on the right? 


It is a small space but it took more than 10 minutes because once I got started, I roped my son in to clear his table too. He had to clear out last year's school books. Which meant that he had to sort out what to throw and what to keep. Then we had to find a space on the bookshelves to keep last year's books that he wants to keep. Which meant that I had to clear out a shelf of old stuff - worksheets from kindergarten days. Reminisced over lots of old things like cards and notes from teachers. Kept a lot of stuff for sentimental reasons. The whole thing took 2 hours and resulted in 2 garbage bags full of stuff to throw out. But it was worth it. It feels good to start the year with space at our tables.


My table, above and my son's table, below. Do you think it counts as 2 corners so I am done with the corner for week 2 as well? :) :) Plus, we've already kept the Christmas tree, ornaments and lights. One year we had the tree up way past Chinese New Year, so it looks like 2012 is off to an unusually good start.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks great! I think you could count that as a whole month of cleaning. :) Your table, your son's table, the shelf, and the Christmas stuff... That's a lot! You've inspired me to go clean some more stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It feels so good to get organized, doesn't it. I have been doing some of that, too.
    Yours and your sons tables look very tidy and organized.
    Thank you for your kind comment on my table today!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It´s so funny, because cleaning my desk was one of the first things I did this year, too. I am collecting so many things, pictures and prints and free instructions and during the year I am only pushing them into some files on my desk. The problem then was, that I hardly ever found the right instruction whenever I needed it, so cleaning and putting them into an order was a must. Now we only have to keep this clutter in mind and try to stay this tidy during 2012. Not that easy, isn´t it? But a very good start to have best intentions.

    ReplyDelete