Sunday, November 27, 2011

Swing vest

Seaming this little vest took 2 nights. Knitting the picot neckline and hiding the yarn ends took another night. Sewing the buttons and button loops and steam blocking it took one more night. So the finishing alone took 4 nights. This is fast for me, because I couldn't wait to get it done.


Pattern: Vest is from this Japanese magazine: ISBN 4939459629646
Yarn: RYC Cashcotton 4-ply 4 balls
Needles: 4 mm

I like how this yarn knits up into a fuzzy soft and extremely light fabric. Sadly it's discontinued.


There are many little details in this vest, like the ribbed cap sleeves. I like how they fit.


The lace yoke and picot neckline. I knitted a picot folded hem neckline because I didn't like the rolled stockinette neckline in the pattern. Instead of sewing down the inside hem, I knitted it onto the purl bumps on the inside. At first the picots kept getting skewed and I kept ripping trying to get it right. Then I realised the picots were skewed because the knit stitch and the purl bumps were not properly aligned because I couldn't see clearly and was skipping some purl bumps without realising it.. In the end I threaded a contrasting thread through the row of purl bumps so that I could see them better.


The button loops made by using blanket stitches over 2 loops of yarn. The buttons were a lucky find. Gunmetal grey buttons that have the same colour inside the scroll pattern as the yarn.


The back lace yoke. The photo in the magazine did not show the back so I didn't know that there was this pretty feature at first.


Edited to add another photo of the back yoke.



The swingy shape and 2 lace patterns on the "skirt" of the vest. By the way, the lace at the hem is the same as the lace at the yoke, although it looks different. I used to think that I prefer to wear plain stockinette sweaters rather than those with fussy intricate lace designs. Now, I'm not so sure. I think sometimes it's a matter of how and where the lace is placed and I guess my taste also changes over time. I really, really like everything about this vest :)

9 comments:

  1. This is so BEAUTIFUL!!! I am a beginner knitter so this is so out of reach for me, but you did awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very beautiful vest Erin. I love the different stitches and the rib sleeves. You did a great job with the picot edging and the button loops. Perfect! Bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You knit so beautifully. It's a lovely color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing that you can knit this kind of things. beautiful.
    thanks for coming to see my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say: lovely attention to all the details (lace, button loops, edging), and the colour is a great choice!

    I wish I had enough patience to knit up something similar :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is amazing!! The detail is beautiful, you are obviously a very talented knitter. I am new to knitting but would love to be able to achieve something like this one day!

    Louise xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is absolutely beautiful and fits you so well.

    ReplyDelete