Tuesday, February 22, 2011

green bag and misc


I had wanted to crochet this bag in green yarn ever since I first saw it in the book. Butterfly cotton does not come in many colours, but I'm so glad that they had this shade of green. I like using Butterfly yarn for making bags because it is sturdy and has a slight sheen.


Besides the colour, I was also drawn to the shell stitch of the pattern. It is a compact stitch that would make a dense fabric, suitable for a bag. The only snag is that the stitch pattern seems to spiral to the right as it goes upwards. You can see the sprial in the picture below. But it's ok, I'm not too disturbed about it :) By the way, in my haste to line the bag, I forgot to block it.


Initially I was going to line the bag with a green fabric, but then I realised that would be too matchy-matchy. So I used fabric leftover from this top instead. I made 2 pockets, one on each side for keeping odds and ends. I'm not sure of the best way of attaching the lining to the bag. As usual, when in doubt, I hand-sewed it with tiny stitches. I hope it will be sturdy enough.


Since I was taking photos, I took one of what I was wearing. I have been trying not to dress matchy-matchy. Matchy-matchy used to be my mantra. Now I'm trying to dress out of my box and think things like beige with turquoise. The good thing about this is that my wardrobe is suddenly way bigger than before, because my options are multiplied and it is kind of fun to experiment with different ways of wearing the same old things.


I also took a close up of the lace cutout on the beige cardigan that I was wearing. Isn't it pretty? You can see from the label that it's from a shop called Stradivarius that opened here in Ion Orchard. Stradivarius is owned by Inditex (a Spanish fashion group) and they've brought in some of my new favourite shops like Zara, Bershka, Pull and Bear and Massimo Dutti.


And before I go, I have to tell you about my latest snack indulgence: Werther's chocolate-covered soft caramel.


By the way, I just realised that my blog has 2 followers. Big "hi" to Kikii and A Frog Named Purl! So I decided to "activate" the followers feature. Feel free to follow my blog! I also realised I have been stumbled upon. I'm not sure what it means but I hope it is good :) And, I love it that I've been hearted!

6 comments:

  1. Love, love, love the green bag!! I'm signing up as a follower, glad you activated the option.
    The "heart" not sure what that is but to be "hearted" is a good thing!
    I seem to buy solid colored clothing, not on purpose, it just dawned on me one day, the handmade items adds a pop of color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute bag. I love the lining, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this bag and it's my favorite color.
    Greetings from Germany
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely bag! Your choice of lining is just perfect.You must be so pleased to have finished one item from your list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bag is beautiful! I love Werthers too, but don't eat it very often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bag and outfit both look great! I love that shade of green, too.

    ReplyDelete