Monday, May 21, 2007

spring knitting at last

I finally found some spring sweaters to knit. I cast on for Foxy (below) from Rowan 27. I wonder why it's called Foxy when it looks more like a 'Plain and Simple' or even a 'Basic' to me. I am using Sirdar Luxury Soft 100% natural cotton 4 ply. It is loosely plied so it has a tendency to split but it is also very soft and the fabric drapes better than Sirdar 4 ply pure cotton. If you prefer your cotton with a bit of sheen, Sirdar Luxury Soft is not for you because it is a matte cotton. Knitted up, the stitches sure look ugly and uneven, but I think a good soak and gentle blocking will fix that. It has good yardage 50 gm for 225 yds/208 m and it was S$8 per ball. I am using my Clover aluminium size 3s (3 mm), knitting the smallest size. As usual, these details are for my own future reference. Sometimes my projects take more than a year by which time I would have forgotten the needle or size that I am knitting!

I also started this nameless Japanese sweater. Hmm, it may not actually be nameless as I cannot read a word of Japanese. So let's just call this my Lime Sorbet sweater. My kids like to eat this lime sorbet that makes their lips pucker and their faces go all crooked. Not that I'm hoping for such an effect when I wear this sweater. I'm not very good at naming my sweaters, but never mind, lime sorbet it is. I am using 3.5 mm needles and Filatura dolce amore, a baby yarn. This sweater is from Keitodama's summer issue no 134 2007. There are lots of cute things in there, including a flirty crochet mini skirt!

Tagged by Littlesesameknits for 7 random things about me
  1. I am almost 5 ft 2 ins.
  2. I prefer to knit with circular needles than straight needles (although I like dpns for socks) because they feel lighter.
  3. I am in my forties and have been married for 17 years.
  4. I like the way Japanese patterns are written, mostly charts, schematics and numbers.
  5. I have a weakness for chocolate.
  6. I am Chinese-Cantonese and I have a bit of Peranakan heritage, my great grandmother on my mother's side was a bibik. So I love Cantonese soups and sambal belacan!
  7. I like to read with my kids. Here are some books I got for our June holiday reading. My son has taken Homer Price to read with Kong Kong (his grandfather) and my daughter has brought Daddy Long Legs to school.

23 comments:

  1. Two beautiful new projects!

    Loved your meme, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lime sorbet pattern is seriously cute! Soooo....sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a crush on the Nameless Japanese Sweater - the little cap sleeves are so sweet. (Exotic websites are completely incomprehensible to me - the Latin I took in school appears to be completely useless in situations like this. My teacher misled me about it's versatility. But did you see the book with the little leaf coasters on the front? How cute.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ribbing can be very flattering ... so the to would be fitting ... and foxy! I think there would be an FO very soon, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like both of those sweaters. Lime sorbet is particularly pretty.

    I remember reading Hans Brinker when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to the Keidotama link, and I fell in love with the one on the cover. I think I want to drop by to your place and have a look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, Foxy sure doesn't look foxy, but instead, prim and proper heh.

    Glad to know some random facts about you =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both tops are so pretty, you have such nice taste. and I think Lime Sorbet is a great name.

    I like reading with my kids, too. right now Kaelen and I are making our way through Pride and Prejudice. It's so much fun sharing a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've got some lovely Spring knitting here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you are going to have two new pretty tops very soon!
    That Sirdar yarn sounds a good buy. The yardage is so great!
    Oh, you are using Dolce Amore for Lime Sorbet. Are you adding the neckline string design too?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh wow, how nice to have two lovely spring knits all at once. Lime Sorbet is very pretty! And I also prefer circular to straight except for socks ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the Lime Sorbet. I don't remember seeing that copy of Keitodama....

    ReplyDelete
  13. The lime sorbet sweater is lovely. I like the stitch pattern. Interesting to read your meme.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Lime Sorbet sweater looks so very charming, a style I always fancy a lot, but mostly wear items like Foxy, plain and basic. I always spent hours thinking about the style I would prefer to knit and it´s good to see how you manage to mix them and knit at both sides.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The green cables are sooo pretty and springy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those new knits are lovely, I especially love the nameless sweater.

    That is a fine set of books for June, I read "I Capture the Castle" last summer and I think it may be my favourite book ever.

    Thank you for your lovely comment on my finished sweater and my hair! I, of course, hate my hair and would like it shiny and straight but we are never happy with our lot, are we?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like the Lime Sorbet, and Foxy is nice, too! You always choose such pretty patterns. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your sweaters are going to be beautiful! And I liked learning more about you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Both of your projects look nice.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Both of those new knits look like wonderful projects and your knitting is so nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I also love japanese book. I got more japanese book in HK even in UK.
    I like both of two new project.Can't wait to see on you when you finished.

    ReplyDelete
  22. ahhh - i missed your 7 things! - i didn't know you were already tagged! i too prefer knitting with circulars. i think it's easier on the wrists than long straight needles.

    ReplyDelete