Tuesday, May 09, 2006

my high-tea bag

Lately I've been missing my knitting buzz. While trying to recover it, I finished sewing my bag. I was thinking about bag handle ideas when I remembered that I had some old leather belts. Yes, I wore belts in the days when pants had waistbands and belt loops. Those pants made one's butt look bigger than it was, but that's another story. Anyway, the old belts were brown leather that didn't quite go with the blue floral. But while I was digging through the drawer, I found this blue leather sling strap from a bag that I bought years ago. The bag has shorter handles that suit its small boxy shape so I have never used the sling strap before, and I had completely forgotten about them. They have now been given new life as handles for my new bag. The shiny clasps have been saved to be re-used for another bag someday.



The photo on the left shows you one version of the bag. The middle shows how it can be buttoned up at the bottom via press studs sewn onto tabs at the corners. Don't look too closely, one of the tabs is all wonky, but I'm too lazy to re-sew it. The last photo shows how the bag looks like when the bottom is buttoned up.

I used iron-on interfacing on for the first time and it wasn't as bad as I imagined. The ironing went smoothly, no dreaded puckering of the fabric. I sewed the seams very close to the edge of the interfacing, as recommended by one of my bag sewing books, so that they will not be too bulky and unmanageable. The one thing that I had to re-do a few times was the little tabs at the bottom corner. It took me a few tries before I could figure out how to sew them so that they would lie flat at the bottom. Actually it is very simple. I just had to sew the tab in the same way that I use to sew the little triangle at bag corners whenever I wanted a flat bottom. This bag is inspired by something in one of my Japanese bag books but I had to find my own way around as I cannot read the written instructions. On the whole, I'm quite happy with the way the bag turned out, although I'm not sure why I took all the trouble to sew it this way because I suspect that I will be using it in the smaller version with the tab buttoned up anyway, so I should have just sewn a small bag!

My bag and I went for high-tea at the Regent.
I snapped this photo hurriedly before my friends arrived. After I had taken the photo, I looked up and noticed some ladies at other tables were staring, but I didn't care, I was so pleased to have a photo of my bag in action for the blog. The bag survived an outing and when unbuttoned, still looks alright. In case you are worried about my complete lack of good sense, I have been advised by my style consultant (aka my daughter) when I got home, that adding the ribbon flower was overdoing things and my son had also piped up "yes, it doesn't match!" I have one last question - do you know if iron-on interfacing can survive hand washing?

14 comments:

  1. Soo pretty - what a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever with the tabs; a bigger bag could be quite handy when going shopping. ;-)
    Iron on interfacing could survive machine washing, so hand washing should be no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty. I was just thinking that I really liked the flower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your bag has a rather posh life so far :) It's really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bag turned out just lovely, Erin! It's neat that you can change the size of the bag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely and versatile bag, Erin! I asked the same question about washing the interfacing to the interfacing man and he told me it'll withstand washing as in the collars and waistbands where it is used in garments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful bag Erin. I like the way the bottom is tucked under... and I like the pink flower-ribbon touch! (Children don't always recognize style when they see it...).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the flower as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the ribbon flower, so pretty!
    And high tea? yumm...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Erin, the bag is beautiful and so versatile. I like it folded but for shopping the bigger size will be great. Oh, the flower is a perfect match in style and color!
    I love high tea in Singapore!;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. your bag is cute! Perfect to go to shopping and take a cup of tee as break!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your bag looks lovely--the switch-a-roo bottom looks like it was fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh what a fun little bag and I love the action photo! Yes, iron-on interfacing should be fine in the wash-at least it has been with me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your high-tea bag is perfect. I love the button tabs at the bottom, very clever :-)

    ReplyDelete