Tuesday, April 04, 2006

dining corner

I had thought I would be in a bag sewing frenzy this weekend, but it didn't happen. Instead there was some simple home-cooking, and inspired by Mimi's recent post, I took the opportunity to show you this corner of my home. We cleared the dining table of all the clutter a few weeks ago and it's amazing that it is still clutter-free now. I was so sceptical about it remaining clutter free, but now, maybe there's hope for the rest of the house. A bit of explanation for those of you who have neat homes and cannot understand how a clean table top is a big deal. Our dining table is too big for our family of 4. We usually have our meals seated around one half of the table, and the other half became home to all sorts of things, albeit neatly stacked, but clutter nonetheless. This dining set was the first furniture we bought as newly weds. I wonder what we were thinking of when we bought this monstrosity of a table. It couldn't get in through the front door and we had to open up the sliding doors to bring it in. What we loved about the table way back then was the marquetry on the table top and the bleached look of the wood. You can see some of the marquetry details in this photo. Please ignore the fact that none of the plates and bowls match.

I joined the Tri-Knit-y hosted by Mona as I managed to buy the yarn just in the nick of time. After wearing my aran sweater a couple of times, I'm beginning to like Trinity very much. It is very lightweight and drapes remarkably well. By this I mean it doesn't cling to me and doesn't crease so badly, unlike some other cotton yarns. Plus, the wonkiness of its stitches is suited to some patterns, or maybe I just have a knack of selecting the worst patterns for this yarn, such as reverse stockinette which incidentally, is not the best idea for this yarn. It looks much better on its stockinette side. Anyway, I found this light blue-grey shade. I checked shade cards online and it looks like it could be "water". Here is about one ball's worth of knitting.

I was knitting on and on and almost forgot to check whether I had reached armhole shaping. This reverse rib pattern is rather addictive, mindless knitting that can be done while reading. I am knitting a Japanese pattern from Spring/Summer World Knitting 2005. It is knitted up in 2 plain ribbed pieces and then there's going to be a little bit of sewing to transform it into a vintagey top, with a bit of a waist. In my usual fashion, I haven't figured out the sewing part yet, because I cannot read a word of Japanese. But I'm an optimist, and the sewing diagram "looks" easy, so I'll just wing it when the time comes. Stay tuned to see what it looks like. I'm curious to see how it will turn out too.

12 comments:

  1. Wow - your table IS beautiful - you must keep that beautiful marquetry uncovered! Oh, dinner looks pretty good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't matter if it is too big, this table is beautiful !
    I am intrigued by what you're knitting now, I am looking forward to the sewn in bits...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a nice dining corner, the table and the divider(?) are beautiful. Btw, dinner looks very yummy!
    Oh, i know which design you are knitting. ;)I thought the sts were knitted. The design fits your Trinity yarn perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the KAL! Well, I must admit I still have some reservations about how the garment will wear on me.

    Tip to keep dinner table clear - have a side cupboard to banish all things, including vase of flowers, on it by dinner time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our dining table could never stay unclutter for 5 mins. Both my husband and I have the clutter gene :D).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh,

    I loved it until you mentioned the sewy part. The color is wonderful. I too get very relaxed knitting ribs. Not so relaxed that I can READ while I knit. Wow, you are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dinner looks so yummy. Congrats on keeping your table clear, our dining table collects clutter, too. I am always working to keep it neat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gee, I wish I could knit and read at the same time.

    I love to cook too, though of course now it's taken a backseat to knitting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dining area is really nice! I understand messy tables, mine has yarn, needles, hangers and files on it. We don't eat in a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are reading while knitting? This would be absolutely impossible for me, I always have to have a look at my stitches, the same as I always have to look at the keyboard while writing.
    A big clean table is the best thing in a room, the fabric could be spread out for cutting, the knitting for measuring and sewing together, I wish I would have such a clean table top - but no chance with me and my familiy.
    My knitting is the same, the st stiches look better than the reversed (if I would need to use the st-st-side it would never ever look that good!) and easy knitting sometimes already caused me to rip or having a sweater down to my knees. I am really looking forward your sweater!
    And - your food looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Erin. Yes, your table is very pretty! Will you come over and cook a meal like that for me?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very yummy dishes you got there Erin. You must be a very good cook. Can't wait to see more progress on your trinity top.

    ReplyDelete