Friday, March 03, 2006

Project Plans

Last week, the office upgraded its air-conditioning system, and I am even colder now than before. My granbia wool poncho which was knitted with large needles is not warm enough. The arctic air blasts right through the holes. So I am motivated to start the front of my begere de france dream cardi. In fact I think I need to wear a woollen hat to keep my head warm, which is so ridiculous.
Plus, inspired by all the red-pink project spectrum knitters, I dug out my wool cotton to knit something. Maybe Tubey (with 3/4 sleeves) or somthing from one of these books that I got recently.
Before you go, let me update you on my sewiknit project. I'm not sewing a skirt for my daughter after all. I found a tiered skirt exactly like what she wanted and it was on sale.

So I'm sewing a skirt for myself instead. I scoured all my Japanese sewing books for a skirt pattern. I am picky about the skirts I wear because I'm hippy, not seventies-hippie, but of the ample-hips variety. I don't like how I look in straight skirts or A-line skirts in stiff fabrics. Most of my skirts are bias cut skirts in soft fabrics. I even wore bias cut skirts with elastic waistbands when I was many months pregnant. So I am sticking with the familiar and will attempt to sew the grey skirt pictured in this Japanese book, using either this stretchy black jersey with tiny white dots or the other black fabric with embossed flowers. There may not be enough of the jersey fabric and I will know only after I have drawn out the pattern. You can't see the 2 fabrics, they just look like one black mess in the photo. As I can't read a word of Japanese, I was wondering how to layout the patterns on the bias and I found this superb photo illustration. I am hoping to get it done this weekend, fingers crossed.

13 comments:

  1. You have a lot of knitting inspiration there and your skirt patterns are so pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tubey will look lovely in pink. And a good idea to sew a skirt for yourself (and a woman who can wear Tubey can NOT be ample-hipped!)
    So I am looking forward to see the next pictures,
    enjoy the weekend,
    Suzi

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a pretty skirt. And you will have no problem finding a sweater with all those nice books to look through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear...it means that you MUST knit more to keep yourself warm!
    Tubey is really pretty, I've been convincing myself NOT to knit it cos all the ribbing will add 10 pounds to me. But I'm sure it'll look gorgeous on you, especially in pink!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those skirt patterns are pretty, I wish I knew how to sew, it'll be so cool to make myself a skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tubey will look wonderful in that color! I love the skirt pattern you selected, too. It looks like a very flattering cut and both of the fabrics you've selected look very versatile. I love the flair of the polka dots on the black material. Best wishes with the sewing this weekend- can't wait to see the modeled skirt! ;-) Take care, Erin! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the skirt pattern you have chosen. Good luck! I am looking forward to the pictures of it done...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the neckline on Tubey, and you know how I love that wool cotton!
    Have fun making your skirt. You're so lucky you have access to those Japanese pattern books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your red-pink yarns look so soft and the color is very pretty as well. I think Tubey will look nice on you.
    I also like the design of the skirt, good choice. BTW, you are not hippy at all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for your comment on my skirt, Erin! maybe someday I'll have the heart to put in a better zipper. :-/ anyway, i'm looking forward to seeing your finished creation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The skirt pattern is nice, I'm sure it'll be very pretty when finished. Don't worry too much, Japanese patterns are very easy to follow. I've made some before, not very difficult, the important thing is take your measurement correctly and everything will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who would have thought that you'll need a wool sweater in sunny Singapore? My colleague was very puzzled the other day and had to ask me why I need to knit sweaters when I was back in Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
  13. u are stashing like u just got your bonus. haha. just joking.

    ReplyDelete