Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The sun came out to play

We probably haven't seen the last of the rainy season yet, but the sun came out over the weekend, and we were able to go here and do this! Of course, the Kimono shawl came along for the ride and basked in the sun too. The rest of the weekend was spent doing housework. We caught up with laundry, washed the car porch, vacuumed and mopped the whole house. The kids were most helpful. Their father pointed out that we could go swimming earlier if they helped to wash the car porch. I really need to get the hang of how he gives the right incentives to get the job done.

I also did a little sewing in between the housework. Since I have begun to work on multiple projects, my knitting tends to get spread out over different rooms in the house and takes up space on table tops and even floor space. It is difficult to tell the kids to tidy up their stuff when I have mine all over the place. So in the hope of being a little more organised, I've started sewing drawstring bags for my knitting. When I'm done with the knitting, I put the project, yarn and working photocopy of the pattern back into the bag and just hang it on the nearest doorknob. Voila, instant organisation! Plus, it is a great way to use up my scraps of fabric. The bag on the left holds my aran sweater and the one on the right holds my kimono shawl. I'm going to make more in different sizes too, smaller ones for socks and bigger ones for bulky cardigans.

6 comments:

  1. Love the drawstring bags for knitting projects. Curious…have you also sewn your own needle cases?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking of making drawstring bags for holding knitting projects too, inspired by Eva who uses only drawstring bags to hold her projects! Much better than the unsightly plastic bags especially if the drawstring bags are as lovely as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your drawstring bags! What a clever and wonderful idea. I have a knitting bag, but I prefer to keep my projects separate. I usually end up using unsightly grocery store bags, but I really like the idea of sewn drawstring bags. Great job! Take care, Erin! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such a lovely idea I'll have to borrow it! I also need a big one for eldest son who doesn't seem to know where the laundry basket is these days :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. those drawstrings are so cheerful looking..:) Love that cute pair of bedroom slippers u did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bags are a great idea and it makes the knitting projects neater. Mine are in all kinds of bags and are difficult to put in the knitting basket.

    ReplyDelete