Saturday, December 17, 2005

Back from holiday

Last Saturday, I finished knitting a hat and wrist warmers for the daughter from the happy yarn, just in time for our trip to Hong Kong. Like a good crazy knitter, I was weaving in the ends, at midnite, just hours before our morning flight. It is interesting to note how the pooling pattern continues from one wrist warmer to the other.

The son wore his zippy cardigan, but he kept taking it off and running around in his T shirt. He loves the cold. He must have a very high metabolic rate or something. In future, I should knit him a sweater, he can't take that off so easily. By the way, if you look closely at the photo, you can see he's missing 2 front teeth, one of which fell out while we were in Hong Kong. The daughter on the other hand, was all bundled up in scarf, hat and wrist warmers. Definitely someone to knit for. And, that's me, finally getting the chance to wear my ruffley scarf.

We had a good time. We loved the food, especially the dim sum and crispy skin roast pork. We enjoyed the cold weather. It was a welcome change from perspiring all day. Of course the kids loved Disneyland - the son's favourite ride was Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters. We all went on the Space Mountain ride too, by mistake. Haha, we didn't realise it was a roller coaster ride. When we came out, the husband asked the son if it was scary and he said, "totally scary!" We also visited some cousins and enjoyed the beautiful night view of Hong Kong from their apartment on Old Peak Road. I managed to visit one yarn shop. I wouldn't have found it if not for Jeanne's excellent HK yarn shop guide. Even the yarn shop owner was surprised that I had found her shop. She had exactly what I was looking for: Noro Silk Garden in Shade 88 and some Addi needles. Her shop was very crowded and knitters were taking queue numbers to consult the "sifu" (teacher) who appeared to be a man. In Hong Kong, I saw something I have not seen before. I saw ladies knitting on the go. One was walking while knitting a scarf and another was waiting for someone in the doorway of a shop early in the morning and standing, knitting a sweater. Wow, there are some serious knitters out there.

It seems that people in Hong Kong hardly sleep. On our last night there, we went to the street market after dinner, and there was so much to see that we didn't realise how late it was (past 11 pm) because it was still so crowded. The shopping was incredible, look at the goodies the kids brought home.

There was something else that seemed to have made an impression on the son - all the Cantonese being spoken and how everything was written in Chinese. He is now very interested in learning Cantonese and Chinese.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great trip! We still have our Buzz Lightyear AStroblaster pictures up on the fridge! Love seeing everyone in their knits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look, the ruffle scarf! :) I love that scarf. I see mommy and daughter looks happy with their pink scarves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great trip! Great fun. Glad you got the Noro you really wanted too..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a great time in HK!
    Hehe, there're lots of times I'm weaving in the ends minutes before having to wear something! ;) And I love decking all the boys in handknits. And we went on the Buzz Lightyear ride four times on Friday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hat and wrist warmers turned out beautifully! I love seeing all of you in your hand-knitted items- that must be so gratifying for you, too. Your Noro Silk Garden is just gorgeous..can't wait to see what you knit up with it. You're making me hungry, talking about dim sum and crispy skin roast pork! ;-) Glad to hear your son is interested in learning Chinese, too. That would be such a great asset and skill for him to have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your description of Hong Kong. Indeed it is an amazing city that I'm growing fonder and fonder of. So good to hear that you enjoyed your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm happy to hear that you had a good time, both at Nathan Woollen and at Disneyland!

    ReplyDelete